1. Determine the type, purpose, and audience of your paper.
2. Ask a question, then make the answer your thesis statement.
3. Take a stance, then ensure that it is provable.
4. State it in two parts: a clear topic and a brief summary of what you will say.
5. Limit the thesis to one or two sentences.
Correct : While a number of economic factors caused the stock market crash of 1929, the losses were made worse by uninformed first-time investors who made poor financial decisions.
Let’s move on to the third component and revise again.
An adequately-devised thesis statement mirrors adequately-devised viewpoints. It indicates that you are clever, dedicated and passionate about the topic.
Need help? Library frequently asked questions and online inquiries: current students/staff | public users , online chat , or phone +61 3 9905 5054
Something to say? Send us your feedback and suggestions: current students/staff | public users
How to Write the Method Section for Qualitative Research
Conversely, the formula for a thesis with only one point might follow this template: