Sometimes you will know the answer to an assignment question immediately, but often you will need to research the topic first.
Correct : While a number of economic factors caused the stock market crash of 1929, the losses were made worse by uninformed first-time investors who made poor financial decisions.
1. Determine the type, purpose, and audience of your paper.
2. Ask a question, then make the answer your thesis statement.
3. Take a stance, then ensure that it is provable.
4. State it in two parts: a clear topic and a brief summary of what you will say.
5. Limit the thesis to one or two sentences.
Reminder: If you make a final change to your thesis, always double-check your concluding paragraph. It might need adjustment, as well.
Disclaimer: The papers provided by serve as model papers for students and are not to be submitted
as it is. These papers are intended to be used for research and reference purposes only.
Copyright © 2013 University of Illinois Board of Trustees • College of Liberal Arts & Sciences • University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign • Developed by ATLAS